There once was a Northern pike who lived in one-half of a large aquarium. The other half of the aquarium was separated by a glass divider and a group of minnows lived there. The hungry pike made many attempts to get at the minnows and make a meal of them but only succeeded in battering himself against the glass. He finally learned that it wasn't possible to reach the minnows and gave up.
One day the glass plate partition was removed, but the pike doesn't attack the minnows.
The behavior of the pike demonstrates the Pike Syndrome which is characterized by:
1. Ignoring differences
2. Assumption of complete knowledge
3. Over- generalized reactions
4. Rigid commitment to the past
5. Refusal to consider alternatives
6. Inability to function under stress